Developing Reading Comprehension Skills Years 5–6: Classic Childrenʼs Literatureby Kate Heap
ISBNPrint: 9780857478375 E-book: 9780857478399
Help pupils to ace the KS2 Reading SATs papers. Using a variety of texts from classic children's literature, children tackle more complex vocabulary, get used to reading longer passages, and practise each of the eight Reading Content Domain question types that appear in the KS2 Reading SATs papers.
Developing Reading Comprehension Skills Years 5–6: Classic Childrenʼs Literature exposes children in Upper Key Stage 2 to a variety of texts from classic childrenʼs literature. They are given opportunities to tackle more complex vocabulary, develop endurance for longer passages and practise each of the eight Reading Content Domain question types that appear in the KS2 Reading SATs papers.
The world of classic childrenʼs literature is full of rich language and exciting adventures. Through these timeless stories, children are able to journey to worlds and times different from their own and lose themselves in the lives of unforgettable characters. Once children get a taste of these wonderful stories, they often want to read more and go on to experience books they may not otherwise discover.
In these stories, they meet fascinating characters with whom they want to become life-long friends. Children soon realize that people are basically the same throughout history and that these characters want to be happy, find friends and be loved, just as they do.
The richness of language and the art of story telling provided by these types of texts allow children to expand their understanding of the world. They are then better able to make links between literature, history, geography, science and other areas.
The book contains extracts from the following classic novels:
- Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C S Lewis
- Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London
- The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien
- Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
This is the first book in a series of 8 Developing Reading Comprehension Skills through …
The other books will be:
- Classic Children's Literature, Years 3-4
- Classic Poetry, Years 5-6
- Classic Poetry, Years 3-4
- Contemporary Children’s Literature, Years 5-6
- Contemporary Children’s Literature, Years 3-4
- Non-fiction, Years 5-6
- Non-fiction, Years 3-4
|Age Groups||7 - 11 years,|
|Product format||Teacher resource|
|Market restriction||There are no market restrictions for this book.|
|ISBN||Print: 9780857478375 E-book: 9780857478399|